You are here
Todd V. Swanson, M.D., graduated from Augustana College in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, in 1981 and Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1985. After completing his orthopaedic training at the University of California Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, California, in 1990, he was fellowship-trained in total hip and knee replacements and reconstructive shoulder surgery at the Metropolitan–Mount Sinai/Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Board-certified, a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and a member of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, Dr. Swanson's practice focuses on total joint replacements of the hip, knee, and shoulder including minimally invasive surgery and revision surgery for failed total joint replacements. Dr. Swanson has a busy clinical practice that includes a training program for American and foreign fellows. He also consults for orthopaedic companies and heads the Desert Orthopaedic Research Foundation, a non-profit organization that partially funds his research.
Dr. Swanson's research was instrumental in developing the techniques and instruments necessary for minimally invasive total hip and knee replacements as well as minimally invasive partial knee replacement, and he holds several patents related to these techniques. Dr. Swanson spends a considerable amount of time teaching minimally invasive techniques to other surgeons. In addition to his fellows, Dr. Swanson hosts visiting surgeons from around the world in his operating room in Las Vegas. He also travels worldwide to give lectures, perform workshops, and demonstrate minimally invasive surgical techniques to other surgeons.
Dr. Swanson also has an interest in the young, active patient and therefore has been instrumental in research to make longer-lasting total joint replacements with the use of ceramics and other new materials. Many patients come to Las Vegas from around the country and the world for Dr. Swanson's expertise in minimally invasive joint replacement surgery combined with his knowledge of more durable, long-lasting materials to benefit the young and active patient.
Dr. Swanson also heads the Adult Reconstructive Fellowship program, a post-residency training program which prepares the orthopaedic graduate for a career in total joint replacement surgery.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry: Augustana University, Sioux Falls, SD
- Doctor of Medicine: Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
- Orthopaedic Surgery Internship: UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA
- Total Joint Arthroplasty of Hip and Knee Fellowship: Metropolitan-Mount Sinai/Hennepin County Medical Center
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Clark County Medical Society
- Nevada Orthopaedic Society
- Nevada State Medical Association
- Washington University in St. Louis Alumni Association
- Centennial Hills Hospital Medical Center
- Dignity Health – St. Rose Dominican, San Martin Campus
- Institute of Orthopaedic Surgery