- Arrange for an escort home. You are going home the same day of your surgery or procedure, and you must have a reliable adult 18 years of age or older to take you home.
- If you are a pain management patient and not a surgery patient, your ride must be here at the start of your procedure and wait at the surgery center. If you do not have a ride, your procedure may be delayed or canceled and rescheduled.
- Alternate driver services (not taxis or buses) are available if you call the surgery center a minimum of 24 hours before your procedure. The patient is responsible for this cost.
- Arrange for someone to stay with you for the first 24 hours.
- Prepare your home for your return after surgery. Have shopping and laundry done.
- Prepare some meals ahead of time.
- Plan for car rides, as you may not be able to drive for a while.
- If you have small children, dependent adults, or animals you care for, arrange to have someone help you watch them during the first few days after surgery.
A parent or legal guardian must be present to sign Consent Forms if the patient is a minor. If someone other than the parent or legal guardian will be with a child, written permission from the legal parent, accompanied by a copy of their photo ID, along with their telephone number must be presented on the day of surgery.
A copy of a Power of Attorney may be required if someone is signing for the patient.