You are here
Dr. Fontes completed medical school with highest honors at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis (the third-ranked medical school in the U.S. in 2009). He then completed an orthopaedic surgery residency at the University of California, San Francisco.
Following residency, he traveled to Europe to study with some of the world experts in trauma and shoulder surgery. An additional fellowship in Italy with Dr. Maurizio Catagni, a recognized pioneer in Ilizarov surgery, added significant experience with this powerful technique.
After his fellowship, Dr. Fontes returned to UCSF as an assistant professor for three years. While there, he co-managed the foot and ankle service at the university, developing quite an expertise in complex reconstructions of the foot and ankle. He also directed the shoulder service at San Francisco General Hospital and is particularly interested in arthroscopy of the shoulder.
Dr. Fontes specializes in diseases of the shoulder, knee, and hip as well as problem fractures such as nonunion and malunions. Dr. Fontes is the first surgeon in Las Vegas/Henderson to perform direct anterior hip replacement and was one of the first to perform arthroscopic rotator cuff repair. Furthermore, he is actively involved in the development and production of several orthopaedic instruments and technologies and has been a guest speaker and instructor for several companies.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Arts in Biochemistry/Cellular Biology, Bachelor of Science in Biomechanical Engineering: University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA
- Doctor of Medicine: Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO
- Orthopaedic Residency: University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- AO/ASIF Trauma Fellowship: Charité Campus Virchow-Klinikum, Berlin, Germany
- AO/ASIF Shoulder Fellowship: Balgrist University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
- Ilizarov Fellowship: Lecco Hospital, Lecco, Italy
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Dignity Health – St. Rose Dominican, Rose de Lima Campus
- Dignity Health – St. Rose Dominican, Siena Campus
Our offices will be closed on Monday, May 27th, for Memorial Day.x