You are here
Dr. Bassewitz received his medical degree from The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland. He completed his orthopaedic surgery residency at UCLA and then went to William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan, for a spinal surgery fellowship. At Beaumont, which in 1999 was the busiest hospital in the United States, Dr. Bassewitz served under Dr. Harry Herkowitz, one of the nation's foremost experts in spinal surgery, as well as six other spinal surgeons.
Dr. Bassewitz has been involved with numerous clinical and bench research projects and has written research papers and book chapters in both general orthopaedics as well as various topics in spinal surgery. His papers have covered numerous topics in spinal disorders including spinal stenosis, disc herniations, and osteoporosis. His interests include complex problems of the neck and back including scoliosis.
He is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, a member of the Clark County Medical Society, and a member of the Nevada State Medical Association.
Dr. Bassewitz was voted by his peers one of Las Vegas' Top Doctors, and the only orthopaedic spine surgeon, in the June 2006 Las Vegas Life magazine.
- Bachelor of Science in Biology: Tufts University, Medford, MA
- Doctor of Medicine: The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- General Surgery Internship: University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- Surgery of the Spine Fellowship: Beaumont Health System, Royal Oak, MI
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Board of Councilors
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Fellow
- North American Spine Society
- Desert Springs Hospital
- Dignity Health – St. Rose Dominican, San Martin Campus
- Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center