Michael Miao, M.D.
Dr. Miao graduated from Harvard University and the Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California. He completed his orthopaedic training at the University of Pittsburgh and received advanced fellowship training in knee and shoulder arthroscopic and reconstructive techniques as well as in sports medicine.
He is board-certified and subspecialty-certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) and is a member of the Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA), American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM), Western Orthopaedic Association, Nevada Orthopaedic Society, Nevada State Medical Association, and Clark County Medical Society.
Dr. Miao was the inaugural Director of Sports Medicine in the Division of Orthopaedic Surgery at the UNLV School of Medicine. He holds faculty appointments in both the surgery and family medicine departments. He continues to serve the community by teaching physician assistant students, medical students, orthopaedic residents, family medicine residents, internal medicine residents, and UNLV sports medicine fellows.
He is one of the Team Orthopaedic Surgeons for the NFL LV Raiders football team and the Head Orthopaedic Surgeon for the WNBA LV Aces basketball team. Currently, he serves as a consultant Orthopaedic surgeon for Cirque du Soleil.
He was formerly the head team physician and Orthopaedic surgeon for UNLV Athletics.As well, he was the medical director and chief Orthopaedic surgeon for the AFL Las Vegas Outlaws football team, ECHL Las Vegas Wranglers hockey team (2010–2014), and UFL Las Vegas Locomotives football team (2010–2012) during it's two championship seasons and its last season's second place finish.
He is a USA Swimming National Team physician and has served USA Water Polo and the USOC (USA Women's Hockey). Over the years, Dr. Miao has been the event physician for the PGA, LPGA, ATP World Tour, WCC, WAC, and PAC-12 Basketball Championship Tournaments, LFL Super Bowl, and USA Rugby 7's. He has also helped take care of the PASL Las Vegas Legends soccer team, the LFL's Las Vegas Sin football team, and served as a contact physician for a number of local high schools in our underserved neighborhoods.
Emphasizing a careful and thoughtful approach to medical decision-making, Dr. Miao encourages his patients to be educated and active participants in their own medical care.
- Bachelor of Arts: Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Doctor of Medicine: Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- General Surgery Internship: University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
- Knee and Sports Medicine Fellowship: Kaiser Permanente, San Diego, CA
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Cirque du Soleil
- PAC-12 Basketball Championship Tournament
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- USA Swimming
- WAC Basketball Championship Tournament
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Dignity Health – St. Rose Dominican, Siena Campus
- Institute of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Sunrise Hospital & Medical Center