You are here
Chad Hanson, M.D., is a native of Amarillo, TX. He graduated summa cum laude from the University of Nebraska at Omaha. He went on to earn his medical degree at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, where he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. Dr. Hanson completed his postgraduate orthopaedic surgery residency at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School. As a chief resident, he was chosen by his peers to receive the program's G. Truett James, MD, "Excellence in Teaching" Award. He has filled many leadership roles throughout his education. Following his training, Dr. Hanson was selected to gain further expertise with a fellowship in sports medicine and arthroscopy at the prestigious Steadman Clinic and Steadman Philippon Research Institute in Vail, Colorado. There he trained directly under many of the world's top experts in the field of orthopaedic sports medicine, providing care to many professional, collegiate, high school, and recreational athletes and their families.
Throughout his clinical training, Dr. Hanson has been involved in research in the field of orthopaedics. He has been published in peer-reviewed journals, including The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, and he has presented his findings at local, regional, and national meetings. He has contributed on a variety of topics including sports medicine, trauma, and pediatric orthopaedic surgery. While at the Steadman Philippon Research Institute, Dr. Hanson had been actively involved in studying the latest advances in hip, knee, and shoulder arthroscopy. This work had included evaluating outcomes of revision hip arthroscopy, the success of knee microfracture in professional ski racers, return to sport following clavicle fracture surgery, and MRI findings associated with shoulder arthritis.
Dr. Hanson specializes in sports medicine and arthroscopy, with a focused interest in the minimally invasive arthroscopic treatment of hip, knee, and shoulder problems. A sports enthusiast all his life, Dr. Hanson encourages a team approach with each of his patients for the medical care being provided. Working together allows his patients to achieve the recovery and success that they desire, through both surgical and conservative means.
Dr. Hanson is a team physician for the US Ski Team (Men's and Women's Alpine), the Dew Tour, and has served as the team physician for several high school football teams. He is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, and a candidate member of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. Dr. Hanson serves as president of Desert Orthopaedic Center. In his free time, he enjoys basketball, skiing, soccer, golf, and triathlons. He is joined in Henderson by his wife, a Green Valley native, and their three sons.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Arts in Biology: University of Nebraska at Omaha, Omaha, NE
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Dallas, Dallas, TX
- General Surgery Internship: University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas TX
- Sports Medicine & Arthroscopy of the Hip, Knee, and Shoulder Fellowship: The Steadman Clinic, Vail, CO
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Nevada Orthopaedic Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Wilderness Medical Society
- Las Vegas Legends
- Us Ski Team
- Desert Springs Hospital
- Dignity Health – St. Rose Dominican, San Martin Campus
- Dignity Health – St. Rose Dominican, Siena Campus
- Parkway Surgery Center
- Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center
- Spring Valley Hospital
- Sunrise Hospital & Medical Center